When you're lazy about (re)applying SPF: spray sunscreen

You know, I know, your friend knows,... we ALL know how important SPF is. Even when not into skincare, people do realize the health hazards that not applying SPF often enough comes with.

On top of that, exposure to UVA & UVB rays leads to skin damage and premature skin aging, even if it doesn't look like you've burnt your skin or if you're a person that tans easily.


Applying SPF can be a pain however and I feel many people do not apply it every day, let alone reapply every few hours. Over the last few years, I've become very conscious about protecting my face from the sun and I've found that it doesn't have to be as burdensome or annoying, that is if you are ok with not tanning as much.

Below, I go through some basics in terms of sun protection and give you my recommendations in terms of spray sunscreen.

Every single day? Really? Most people apply SPF on particularly sunny days, or when they are on holidays. I hate to break it to you, but that is most definitely not enough. While you will certainly burn more easily when in summer and generally when the sun shines brighter, UVA and UVB rays go right through clouds and reach your skin. So every day you go outside, even if it is just to run a small errand, should be an SPF day.

And what if SPF is included in your skincare or make-up product? A lot of moisturizers and face make-up products include SPF. While using these is definitely better than using nothing, and perhaps good to start with your SPF habits, there are a couple of drawbacks: in terms of makeup, we typically do not apply enough product, nor everywhere on our face/neck area, to really offer appropriate protection (unless you want to look less than natural...). In terms of skincare: SPF is an overpowering ingredient and usually present in relatively large quantities in skincare formulas. That means that a moisturizer with SPF 30 will likely be more expensive than both products separately would be. On top of that, it will moisturize less effectively than a "regular non-SPF" product would. Conclusion: it's just a fancy SPF!

Should you be reapplying throughout the day? In short: yes. Every two-three hours at least. And definitely if you get out of the water. If you're spending a day at the beach, that might be fine, but in every day life, most of us wear at least some make-up (even if that is just blush & mascara) and then, reapplying SPF isn't very practical. Brands have luckily started realizing that and I find that there are more and more handbag friendly sized, spray formats that make reapplication hassle free. Whether you are out to get lunch on a work day, or you want to reapply in the middle of a shopping day with your friends, sprays are definitely your best fit. The only hurdle: be sure to cover your entire face/neck area. A few


of spritzes won't do there...

So, without further ado (I know, I tend to ramble), here are a few sprays I'd definitely recommend for smudge-free SPF application:

  • Kate Somerville UncompliKated SPF: A factor 50, this product doubles as a make-up setting spray. I love that the smell of this is neutral and in addition, it doesn't make me shine. There is lavender essential oil here, which I find can be irritating if you have sensitized skin. Also, the formula is silicone-based; I don't find that to be an issue but I know some of you try and avoid silicone in beauty products. In terms of spraying action, I think this is definitely one of the best: the mist is very fine and sets beautifully on your face, so there is really no need to rub this product in (disturbing your makeup). On the downside: this doesn't come in travel size I believe and personally I find the spray can too big to just carry it around. This sits on my desk at the office however, for a quick spritz before getting lunch.
  • Bioderma Hydrabio Eau de soin SPF 30: The packing on this factor 30 beauty is much more travel friendly and the smell is even better. I also find that it hydrates slightly more than the Kate Somerville option. That being said, the misting power isn't so good and I find this to result in "droplets" of what looks like water on the skin. When using this, I pat it in slightly, which is fine as I usually don't wear more than some tinted moisturizer or blush. If you do tend to use heavier products on your face, I can imagine this will disturb carefully applied foundation a lot more.
  • Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist: Last but definitely not least, this is my personal favorite for every day use. A factor 50 and 3 sizes to chose from make this a very good travel option. The middle size fits in even the smallest handbag and despite being relatively small, I do find you can get quite some use of it. Price wise, I find this to be very reasonable as well. It delivers a perfect mist, which smells refreshingly of rosemary and mint, and just sets on top of make-up. If I had to find one negative point: when you touch your face after having applied it a few times through the day, you feel a sort of film. I cleanse my face very throughly in the evenings to just get it all off. That being said, this spray definitely does not make your skin look greasy and it also has not broken me out. I go through at least 6 of these beauties a year and that says something!
Hope this helps in making SPF a bit easier to incorporate in your routines!

You can always trust me to give you an honest opinion and to tell you when a post was sponsored. This one wasn't and all of the products mentioned were purchased by me (for the love of skincare...).

Pictures copyright: Kate Somerville, Bioderma & Supergoop!.

Comments

Popular Posts