Eye cream duo: Tata Harper and Dr. Dennis Gross

When I wrote about my basic skincare routine, I mentioned eye cream as part of the "bare minimum". Lots of people use their regular moisturizer for the under-eye area, but I believe your eyes deserve a little more than that. There's two very good reasons for that: (a) the skin of your (under)eyes is the thinnest skin you have, and (b) connected to that: it is also the area that ages the fastest.


All the more reason to focus on hydrating your undereyes with a lighter cream and to start with antiaging products there the earliest. Regular moisturizers tend to have bigger molecules and/or be of a thicker consistency, clogging pores and causing milea (you know, those annoying little white marks that are so hard to safely remove). In addition, exposure to the sun, squinting and just regular smiling can cause wrinkles under, between and around the eyes.


First of, I find it very important to properly hydrate, especially considering my tendency to develop under eye circles. If I don't sleep enough or am dehydrated, my eyes are the first area to suffer. Of course, there's always corrector&concealer, but it starts with a proper eye cream. That is why in the mornings, I have been using the Tata Harper Restorative Eye Crème. It works well on smoothing fine lines and hydrating the skin. I also find it really good "massaging" your area, if you want to drain the puffiness. It doesn't do away with dark circles, but no eye cream can do that (if they're colores they can fade them a bit, but that is just what make-up does already). Tata Harper is what you would call a "green" cosmetics brand, meaning that the ingredients used are organic or at least from natural origin. There's aloe, safflower, mango, lavender and also olive oil in this one.


In the evenings, I want something that is a little more focused on antiaging. It is important to start with treating your under-eye are with retinol and the like early on: don't nurture the illusion that you can start once the wrinkles are there. It is so much harder to make them go away (non-surgically at least...) than to prevent or slow down their appearance! I'm currently using the Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Eye Cream. It comes in a dark container, which is good for preserving the retinol, which is basically your prime actor against wrinkles and fine lines. Ferulic acid on the other hand is a type of antioxidant which stabilizes other ingredients in a product, i.e. makes them more potent. It also slows the ageing process (though less than the retinol). The texture of this is a light cream, which is absorbed easily. I don't feel that is particularly hydrating though, so if I feel the need, I often top of with a little of the Tata Harper cream, or something else more hydrating.


Hope this inspires you to think a bit more about your eye cream situation!


You can always trust me to give you an honest opinion and to tell you when a post was sponsored. This one wasn't and all of the products mentioned were purchased by me (for the love of skincare...).


Photo credits to Femke v.d.H.

Comments

Popular Posts