In search of my holy grail mascara...

Mascara was probably the first make-up product I used, back when I was a teenager. I've worn it almost every day since then and have tried a good number of versions. Unfortunately, as the title of this post suggest, my holy grail has yet to be found!


My lashes are fairly long but also relatively thin. So when I buy a new mascara, I tend to focus on volume. That is not so hard to come by. My "issue" therefore relates to an other area: smudges! They're the thorn in my mascara-side. And yes, I use eye primer, and under-eye setting powder! Over the last few months, I've tried the three mascaras described below, sort of succesfully but not convincingly...


First up, the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. Beatiful volume, intense black, lasts all day. It is the best, truly. Were it not for the smudges! They're the worst I have ever experience in mascaras. After a few hours, I find myself rubbing below my lashes to make sure there are no marks there; this can't be good in terms of wrinkles, but obviously I'm also rubbing of any concealer I applied there. So no.


Second, the Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof. I though that if I tried this one, I would have the gorgeous volume the non-waterproof version gives, minus the smudges. Alas: this one does smudge less (though it still smudges!) but the dramatic effect is gone too. In addition, I find it to be drying. For that reason alone, I'm always hesitatant to grab it.
Last but "the least least" (if that makes any sense) is the Clinique Chubby Lash Fattening Mascara. This is the best one in terms of smudging: I don't have to touch up (or rub...) during the day and just need to refresh a bit if I have an evening event I want to look good for (but that's something I'd be doing anyway). The only desappointment: no drama! It nicely separates my lashes, gives quite some volume and has a beautiful black color... but it just can't compare to the Better Than Sex in terms of effect & result.


I'm sure that by now, it's starting to down on you: I'm looking for the perfect must-have mascara, a mix between the Too Faced Better Than Sex' volume and the Clinique Chubby Lash's non-smudginess. Anybody any ideas? Please?


PS Next up on my wishlist is the Lancome Grandiôse Extrême...Will let you know if that one works out.



You can always trust me to give you an honest opinion and to tell you when a post was sponsored. This one wasn't and all of the products mentioned were purchased by me (for the love of  make-up...).

Photo credits to Femke v.d.H.

 

Comments

Popular Posts